Sunday, September 29, 2013

To Race or Not To Race?

Today is a weird day.  The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is going on in Denver and it is with many mixed emotions that we aren't there.  Shelly - the reason we started participating in the first place - just found out a few months ago that, after almost five years, the cancer is back.  She is fighting like the warrior she is - and we are all with her again on this journey - so it seems like we should absolutely be there with the hundreds of thousands of women who are racing today - to gain strength from them and to be encouraged by their success stories.  But last year we made a decision to not do the RFTC - for several different reasons - but mostly because of the shameful way they caved to the bullies of Planned Parenthood.



Remember the story?  In January 2012, Komen announced it wouldn't give money to Planned Parenthood anymore.  The outcry was immediate and vicious.  Forget that companies should be able to give money however they wish, this was THE story and supporters of abortion on demand came out in force.  The interesting thing to me, was that PP recouped the Komen money in less than 48 hours through private donations (reinforcing my belief that ALL their money should come from that source and not anything tax-payer related, but that's a whole 'nother Oprah) but the vitriol against Komen never stopped and a few days later they caved and reinstated their donation to PP.

Shelly and her wonderful mother
The whole pathetic drama left a very bad taste in our mouths and we said "never again."  So the 2011 race was our last one.  Since then, I've realized that Komen doesn't give nearly enough of their money to research and development, for example - so I felt strong in our decision to not participate last year.  I'd rather give money to a group that focuses on finding an actual CURE, or one that helps families stay together during treatment (along the lines of Ronald McDonald House).  And how can I be a part of a group that caves to political pressure and donates money to a group that contributes to the almost million abortions performed per year in this country? I was strong in my convictions last year.  But today I am wondering if what's wrong with the Komen foundation is more important than what is right about it.





Because today I realized that the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is so much bigger than the Komen organization.  What today is really about is the strength of women and how formidable we can be when faced with a disease that takes so many of our loved ones.  The fact is that there are almost a quarter million new cases of invasive breast cancer every year.  And about 40,000 deaths per year as a result of this horrible cancer (second only, in women, to lung cancer).  As I've watched my darling friend go through this hell - now TWICE - her strength and fortitude in the face of such fear and pain and anguish is amazing to behold.  The Race for the Cure is FILLED with women like this.

Our daughters - the next generation of fighters



So all I can think about today is how much Shelly needs those women right now - to shore up her resolve and tell her that she CAN get through this AGAIN.  Instead - this year - we will do our own walk, give to a different organization, enjoy a raucous brunch at some upscale restaurant and be together to celebrate Shelly and her fighting spirit.





I hope next year though, that we can put our differences with Komen aside and experience the solidarity and power of so many women united for a cause.  It's a heady experience and one we enjoyed for years.  I don't know what the future holds.  Right now all I can focus on is getting Shelly healthy again - for her family that she adores - and for us, the girlfriends who love her so much.  That, after all, is the most important thing.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Christine this is amazing. Thank you for writing this. As you know I am not a proponent of planned parenthood, but doing what I do I often come under attack without the whole story being told. I do not agree with the decision either way with Susan G. Linen but for me abandoning the race was lime throwing the baby out with the bath water. I love my memories of the walk and I especially. lived doing it with and for someone I love Shelly and loved Marla. It gives me hope and makes me feel like if we unite strong enough three will be a cure. I love all of you and love the bond we create through uniting for our sistah in this battle race, religion or politics do not matter only faith, hope and love. So when are we having our on Race? Beautiful writing my friend and well said.